Husky Homestead is located approximately eight miles south of the entrance to Alaska’s Denali National Park. It is located in the small year-round community known as McKinley Village. Each summer season we welcome thousands of guests from around the world to Husky Homestead – a Denali Destination where Dogs are King! That’s a bit of a play on words as Husky Homestead is the home base for four-time Iditarod Champion Jeff King! Jeff himself came to Alaska in the summer of 1975 for a summer job, and he’s been here ever since!
We offer two to three tours daily, five days a week from late May through September 10th. Husky Homestead is located 130 miles south of Fairbanks and 230 miles north of Anchorage. The Denali area is what most people would call “remote” – we head those 130 miles north to Fairbanks for nearly all of our errands: grocery shopping, doctor appointments, movie theaters, etc. It is not a quick trip to the store for us, and is typically a full day in town making sure you get as much done in one day as you can. (Bonus – Three Bears grocery store is now open in Healy – just 20 miles away!) We may not be close to the city, but Denali is definitely not short on fun! With the long days of summer we pack as much in as we can into our short season! As an employee of Husky Homestead, you may receive discounted or complimentary tours with many of the other Denali activities: ATV adventures, rafting, flight seeing, fishing, park tours, mountain biking, etc. There are also other things to keep you busy: hiking, camping, berry picking, etc. If you enjoy being outdoors, we’ve got a lot of space for you to play!
While a vehicle is not necessary to live/work here, we do not provide personal transportation. We will assist you with transportation once you arrive in Alaska and are ready to head to Denali. Once you are here it would be up to you to plan for any trips out of the Denali area, and as to how you may get to and from those areas.
Husky Homestead has limited staff housing available. Our staff housing site is in the McKinley Village area. Housing consists of single occupancy apartments ($10 /day), or if you have a van or RV, we’ve got a hookup for you ($5 /day). All apartments have heat, electricity and wireless internet. Our housing is in close proximity to our tour location and a commons area that has free laundry facilities. Rent is auto-deducted from your paycheck. We do not provide meal plans for employees, but there is a Three Bears grocery store in Healy that we can arrange transportation to. There are a number of restaurants in the area, as well as several smaller options for groceries.
What are we looking for in a Husky Homestead employee?
- Outgoing – You will be around guests all day, every day.
- Professional – A neat appearance and clean lifestyle.
- Positive Attitude – Always polite and courteous with customers and staff members.
- Team Player – Our small group of employees are more like a family. For 4 months, we work, eat, sleep, and play together in very close quarters. You must be able to get along with your co-workers. You will also be sharing a “common area”, so it is imperative that you clean up after yourself and assist with daily housekeeping chores.
- Attendance – Our summer season is short and very busy. All employees must report to work on time, all the time. There will be days that you are asked to work more than your scheduled shift.
- Honest and Trustworthy – Our staff is the face of Husky Homestead. We need employees that we can trust with our guests, our dogs, our vehicles and equipment, and our livelihood.
Do you think you fit the bill? Would you like to be part of our awesome Husky Homestead team? Send us a resume with cover letter, along with three professional references and two personal to us at:
Husky Homestead – Summer Position
PO Box 48
Denali Park, AK 99755
via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently accepting applications for:
– Reservations Agent
Preference will be given to candidates that are available for our entire season: June 1 – September 10th.
(If you’re able to arrive earlier than June 1st that would be beneficial.)
- Answer phones in an office environment with a multi-line phone. Respond to inquiries quickly and professionally.
- Monitor reservation email address and respond to emails accurately and in a timely manner.
- Take reservations via phone, email, and online booking portal. Document reservations accurately and with detail.
- Communicate with staff via phone or in person.
- Help with tours as needed, i.e. run a cash register, make change and check out guests, provide excellent customer service to all guests (internal and external), and close out registers after tours.
- Receive inventory, tag inventory, and help keep retail stocked.
- Work closely with other agents and Office Manager to ensure great customer service and adherence to Standard Operating Procedures and protocols.
- Other duties as needed.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Candidate must be proficient with Excel, MS Word, and Outlook.
- Must be able to multi-task and function in an office that has busy and slow times throughout the day.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs occasionally and be able to sit / stand for a minimum of 8 hours/day.
- Candidate will be expected to work independently at times.
- Candidate should be a motivated self-starter.
- Wage: $14 hourly, $1/hour bonus at completion of signed contract, or DOE.
- Housing is available for this position.
- Email, or mail your resume, cover letter, three references and contact information to: email@example.com.